Every job industry has its perks. People working for airlines can fly standby for free and those working in retail get an extra discount off their purchases. The perk of working at this Raleigh PR agency? Professional development. I’m only three days into the job and have already been asked to represent Clairemont Communications this September in Columbus, Ohio at Content Marketing World 2012, the largest content marketing event in the world.
At CMW 2012, I will be surrounded by some of the best and the brightest in the industry. Last year’s convention brought more than 600 marketing professionals from nearly 20 countries to Cleveland, Ohio to hear speakers such as David Pogue, personal technology columnist at the New York Times and Emmy award-winning correspondent for CBS News; David Meerman Scott, author of the best-selling New Rules of Marketing & PR and Real-Time Marketing & PR; and Heidi Bailey, senior brand strategist at LEGO, just to name a few.
This year, the speakers are just as notable. I will hear all the words of wisdom coming straight out of the mouths of industry leaders like Sam Sebastian, chief content officer at Google; Pam Didner, global integrated marketing manager at Intel; and Julie Fleischer, director, CRM content strategy and integration at Kraft Foods.
As you can tell from the speakers listed above, this is an amazing opportunity – especially for an entry-level account coordinator on her third day of work. I am incredibly excited, but also a little anxious. I can get somewhat shy in networking situations, so this trip will definitely be a learning experience and a challenge for me in more than one way.
What am I most excited for? I can’t wait to hear Sam Sebastian give his talk, “Google’s Zero Moment of Truth” (We talked about ZMOT in my marketing class this past semester, but I was sick that day, so I can finally learn everything that I missed in class!). Also, anyone who knows me knows I love Pinterest, so the workshop, “How to Use Infographics and Visual Storytelling (ala Pinterest) to drive Demand Generation” is definitely one that I will be attending!
So, I’m looking for advice! What are your best networking tips? I would love to hear any tips and tricks on how to get the most out of my conference experience!
Here’s a sneak peak at what my schedule will include at Content Marketing World 2012:
- “CTRL ALT DEL – How to Reboot Your Content For a Mobile World” – Mitch Joel, author, Six Pixels of Separation: One of the most sought-after digital speakers in the world, Mitch Joel is President of Twist Image — an award-winning Digital Marketing and Communications agency. His first book, Six Pixels of Separation, named after his successful Blog and Podcast is a business and marketing bestseller. His next book, CTRL ALT DEL, will be coming out in Spring 2013. You don’t want to miss this amazing presentation from one of the world’s best.
- “Cut the Bull – Blog with a Purpose and Drive Your Business” – Jason Falls, CEO, Social Media Explorer
- “Putting Social to Work: How to Rapidly Grow Your Fans, Your Prestige and Your Business” – Mike Stelzner, CEO, Social Media Examiner
- “Understanding the New World of Klout, Social Sharing and Social Influence Marketing” – Mark W. Schaefer, best-selling author, Return on Influence
- “Defending Your Content Marketing & Social Media to the C-Level: Two Proven Strategies” – Jenny Magic, CEO, Better Way to Say It; Brian Massey, The Conversion Scientist “
- “Google’s Zero Moment of Truth” – Sam Sebastian, director, local & B2B markets, Google Inc.: Audiences initiate connections with a brand long before they make a purchase decision. These connections, which include search queries, reviews, site visits, video views and many more interactions with content, influence whether users eventually select a brand or a competitor’s brand. Google’s Sam Sebastian will discuss research and examples about what Google calls the Zero Moment of Truth and share fresh strategies of how Brands are winning and optimizing the Zero Moment of Truth.
- “Distilling the Magic and the Mystery that is Content Marketing Success” – Marcus Sheridan, the sales lion and owner, River Pools & Spas. Put your seat belts on ladies and gentlemen, as Marcus Sheridan of The Sales Lion will take you on a content marketing ride full of learning and laughter in this keynote you won’t soon forget. Bursting with innovative ideas that you’ll be able to immediately apply to your business, this session will surely be a highlight of your Content Marketing World experience.
- “Building Your Internal Publishing Department for Content/Social Success” – Brody Dorland, chief strategy officer, Divvy HQ Jayme Thomason, CEO, Divvy HQ
- “Twitter Will Win — And With the Right Plan of Attack, So Will You” – Nate Riggs, director of social business, The Karcher Group
- “The Content Opportunity that is Google+” – Arnie Kuenn, president, Vertical Measures
- “How to Use Infographics and Visual Storytelling (ala Pinterest) to drive Demand Generation” – Maria Pergolino, senior director, marketing, Marketo, Inc.
- “Scalable Content Strategies for Facebook and LinkedIn” – Amy Porterfield, author, Facebook Marketing All-in-One for Dummies.
- “How to Develop Amazing Audio and Podcast Content Marketing” – Pamela Muldoon, chief content officer, Next Stage Media