Say hello to the next member of our Clairemont intern team – Sydney McKinney. Erin recently sat down with Sydney to learn a little more about her. Here are the highlights…
This January, Sydney McKinney brought her talents and skills to Clairemont’s spring internship team. Sydney, a Greensboro native who considers herself a “chocoholic” and loves pastel colors, is currently a senior advertising major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC Chapel Hill.
However, she wasn’t always on the Ad path. Sydney tested the waters with several different majors before finding her passion for creativity and landing an internship with Seventeen Magazine last summer. As a marketing intern for Seventeen, she spent two months in New York City learning the inside track of the magazine industry. While her favorite part about Clairemont so far is the people, Sydney is excited about the transition and challenge this internship will bring to her current skill set.
Get to know Sydney by checking out these fun facts:
- Sydney’s favorite snack to sneak into the movies is Raisinets and Diet Coke, however, the best meal she has ever had was lobster at Mama’s Fish House in Maui. According to her, it was not only the best but was also the biggest, juiciest lobster she has ever eaten.
- Her ideal pet? Definitely a dog. She is currently thinking about a Goldendoodle, not to be confused with the “not-as-cute Labradoodle.”
- Her weird quirk? She likes to speak in a variety of voices. Just today she demonstrated how by talking in the back of her throat she can sound like the animated movie character Stitch.
- If you checked Sydney’s browser for most visited websites you would be sure to find FABSUGAR and Pinterest at the top of the list. But, these are not just hobbies. She hopes to use her Pinterest collection to fully decorate a house one day.
- While she is afraid of bugs, she has no problem with heights. In fact a dream of hers is to go skydiving one day.
After graduation this spring, Sydney hopes to land a position in a public relations or advertising agency. Her advice for other college students looking for internships or jobs? Network, network, network! She credits networking as the most valuable channel for landing an internship. Thanks for the advice Sydney, and good luck with your future endeavors!